Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A few months ago on a Sunday morning during worship, I noticed one of the teenage boys looking as if he was intensely preparing for something burdensome. He was leaning against the wall, sitting, Bible opened and eyes closed. I smiled to myself a while later when I realized that he was preparing to lead the usher's prayer during the offering.

It's really like that, isn't it? Things we are given to do may be pretty small... but they aren't small to us. We get burdened and may feel under pressure as we prepare for our moment in the "spotlight," thinking that somehow it's so important. But the truly "important" moments are all of the unseen ones that we think don't matter. It's the way we live when no one is looking that reveals what is true about us.

 Living for the Audience of One is what I want to do.



                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment