Tuesday, November 23, 2010

That Ache Inside

This morning I met a fatherly type of guy.  A 74 year old, happy, sweet, talkative gentleman who was waiting his turn for a chiropractic whack along with a roomful of other waiting customers.   
Curious about my iPad, he struck up a conversation and asked if I would demonstrate it for him.  After showing him a few apps and emphasizing the handiness of having lots of waiting books in there, I left him and took my turn for the whack I was waiting for.
I love older people.  It’s a good thing, I guess, since at age 52 I’m daily getting closer to officially joining their ranks.  With each passing year  I sympathetically relate  to the reality of aching joints and stiff limbs. Just getting into the driver’s seat has been challenging at times, not to mention lowering myself to the floor to play with a dog or cat. (I must say, the chiropractor has helped me a lot!)
At this point in my life, I find that I linger longer over beauty. I savor anything that is able to touch my heart:  changing leaves, a photo, a song, my children.  Talking with my husband is satisfying to my soul!  
With each passing day, I realize with anticipation that I will soon leave this planet and enter REALITY.  Woo hoo!   
As I grow older, hopefully I will offer motherliness to those with an inner ache, just as something in me soaked up the fatherliness of the gentleman I met this morning.
Humans are like a breath of air. Their life span is like a fleeting shadow.





3 comments:

  1. You do offer motherliness. :) thank you and Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You offer it to me all the time. I am fortunate to have many mothers that tend to bless me when I most need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that gentleman was blessed this morning! :)

    I agree about the getting older part, and especially about the entering REALITY part - but I find it harder to get up from the floor than to get down on it!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete