Thursday, July 21, 2011

To the backdrop of I Love Lucy, my daughter, Hannah, labored early on Saturday morning to bring Leila into the world.  Today is Thursday, which means Leila's first week is more than halfway passed.  Wow.

While Hannah and Leila were being discharged at the hospital, the nurse, with her northern accent and way of being, touched a place inside of me that doesn't get rocked very often.  The place of vulnerable patient who has grieved her babies.  The ache of exhausted daughter, caring for parents who will never be better again.  The newborn reality of being grandma,  and finally, the realization that  I'm now the generation who could soon need a caregiver myself.  Yes, the young and the old are connected, and I am going down the line in succession of all those who came before and all of those who will come after.

When a young girl gives birth, she experiences the beginning of a different perspective of what her mother has done for her.  The picture begins to be altered as she tries to walk post-partum, learns how to nurse, wakes up in the night, and quietly soaks in the joys of mommy hood and the promise of many years of hard work ahead.

It happens again when one become a grandma.  I'm grateful that my mother came across the country to care for me while experiencing high risk pregnancies and again after giving birth.  Her presence comforted me and her way of serving benefitted me for several weeks. I  ache for her as I remember.

It is obvious to me now why older women pray more: you just come to the place of accepting your lack of control, while remembering the goodness and faithfulness of God throughout your own life, applying that reality to those you love. They must live their lives and learn their own hard lessons.  But in the closet of your heart, you are asking for grace, hoping for revelation, and believing Him to do what only He can do.

If there is anyone humble, quietly watching as people do it their own way, not consulting Him or being saved from a boatload of consequences, it is God the Father, Creator of us all.

Just waiting to be asked for wisdom.

Ready to support.

Willing to comfort.

Able to help.

I am asking You today, Lord, for all of these things.  Thank you for hearing.  I look forward to seeing how You answer.
His salvation extends to the children's children of those who are faithful to his covenant, of those who obey his commandments.  Psalm 103

No comments:

Post a Comment